Back

Sarcophagus of the Spouses

Code S131

The sarcophagus, a masterpiece of Etruscan Art, was discovered in 1881 in 400 fragments in the Banditaccia Necropolis near Cerveteri. Made in terracotta in 520 b.C., it is now showed in the National Etruscan Museum of Villa Giulia in Rome; only one replica like this is known and it’s preserved in the Louvre Museum. The two spouses are portrayed in a tender embrace as they are about to drink wine together, one of the most beautiful moments of everyday life that they wanted to continue even after death. The quality of the details allows to notice many details of the clothing and attitude of the symposiast: the woman’s headgear is particularly striking, the characteristic etruscan tutulus, and her shoes, the so-called calcei repandi, folded upwards, according to a fashion that refers to the orient.

Additional information

Dimensions 100 × 202 × 140 cm
Material

Terracotta Resin