|Dimensions||35 × 30 × 62 cm|
The original work of Agesander, Polidoro and Athenodorus; sculptors of Rhodes; expresses all the suffering and the effort of the priest of Apollo to free up himself and his two sons in the turns of the snakes sent by Athena. It was discovered 14 January 1506 on the Esquiline Hill in Rome and obtained immediately notoriety and admiration. Pope Julius II wanted it for his collection of statues in Belvedere. Today in the Cortile Ottagono of the Vatican Museums.